Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Limb Holder

I've settled on a standard limb holder that is two inches wide on the outside and can accommodate limbs that are up to 1.75" wide.  The length of supported limb end will be 4.5".  This means that I can take advantage of many of the Alevekiu limbs that I already have but it will also work with my own limb designs.  The design is simple and requires little more than a drill press and cut-off saw.  I am using 2"x2"x1/8" square steel tube.  I also made another set from 2"x2"x3/16" square aluminum tube, but it only accepts limbs up to 1-5/8" wide. 

Limb Holders, 1-5/8" wide with my limb top, Alevekiu's 1.75" wide at bottom.
I use a single screw to clamp the limb in place so it works with multiple thickness limb ends.  I feel this works pretty well but also feel it may be an unnecessary complication.  The more I think about it, the more I realize that the limb doesn't need to be clamped down.  It will be held in place by string tension alone and perhaps all I need is to add blocks to fill the gap between the top of the limb and the limb holder.  I will keep it as is for now and see how it holds up when I put it through several full draw trials later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment