Sunday, January 8, 2012

George Alavekiu's Foot Bows

A couple of months prior to the 2011 Flight Nationals, I stumbled upon a huge collection of foot bows for flight shooting.  After a few phone calls, the deal was sealed in a Jack-in-the-Box parking lot.  I was given several large boxes stuffed with flight archery gear.  There was so much, I could barely fit it all in my car with the seats folded down.

I got home and pulled out limb set after limb set.  Each carefully numbered with vital statistics written on them.  Limb length, working length, draw weight statistics.  No two sets were exactly alike.  Some had been shot many times, some appeared to have never been shot.  It was mind boggling.  The construction of the limbs were unmistakable.  This was classic flight shooting equipment and very well made.  I had in my possession the very systematic yet obsessed work of a brother from the past.  It was insane, yet quite moving.  In addition, there were several foot bow limb holders, release and rails.  There were also many interesting experimental hand held flight bows and older single piece foot bows.  This collection was absolutely incredible!

George Alavekiu Foot Bows - ca.1968-1969
My biggest question was "who made this stuff?"  First to mind was Harry Drake.  The construction of the limbs appeared very similar in construction to Drake flight bows that I had in my possession.  Yet, some things were just different enough that something seemed off with this assumption.  I thought they may be earlier prototypes to Drake's famous foot bow which he drove past a mile.  But Drake signed everything.  There were no names anywhere to be seen.  There are numerous notes written on the equipment and the hand writing didn't seem to match up with Drake's either.  After a few calls, I finally found the answer.  These were built by George Alavekiu!  George was pushing the envelop on flight crossbow and foot bow distances in the mid-to-late 1960's and was locked into an arms race with Harry Drake to see who was first to exceed a one mile shot.  George claimed to have exceeded a mile well before Harry Drake did. Unfortunately, George did his shooting on his own outside the sanctioned flight events after a falling out with Drake so George's distances never officially verified or recognized outside his own personal accounts.  Many have doubted the truth of his claims because of this.

Here is a link to George's story.  The details mentioned in his story matched up with the bows I acquired.  Given George's very detailed notes and record keeping, I have little doubt that George's claims are very plausible.  The design is capable of it.  The construction quality is on par with Drake's.  All the ingredients fit into place.  I'm a believer.  Enjoy!

http://www.arco-iris.com/George/alavekiu.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment