Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Chrono Test - March 10

After the exploding arrow incident, I dialed back the draw length to 16", loaded a high modulus arrow, and let it fly through the chronograph.

 

As you can see in the video, it didn't go without incident. The anchor holding the bow to the shooting stand broke free and the bow nearly rolled off the stand when it released. The arrow remained intact, punching a perfect hole through the paper. Also, notice that the tip overlay sheared off the left limb tip overlay and went sailing dead center through the paper!

The chrono registered 609 fps, which is not bad, but not good enough either.  Given how straight the arrow left the bow, this arrow may have landed 1600-1800 yards away at Bonneville.  I have no doubt that some speed was lost when the limb tip sheared free, but I will need a system capable of reliably delivering 700+ fps before I feel confident about the chances of exceeding Drake's Unlimited Foodbow record of 2028 yards.

This is getting a little fun.  I think I'll see what some of the other limb sets can do...

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment