Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Chrono Test - March 17th

I had to make a special string for limb set #67.  #67 is very stout and has more recurve than any others I've tried up to this point. Braced, the string rang at the highest pitch I've ever heard on a strung bow. It sounded absolutely wicked, but felt like something had to give under all that pressure. 

I considered unstringing the bow and reworking the tip overlays. They seemed like to be weak link in the chain, but decided to try a supposedly "gentle" shot. I set the trigger to only 11 inches of draw, 6 inches short of full draw, drew back and let it loose.  The limb exploded on the shot with pieces of the limb core ricochetting about the shop like shrapnel. The right limb tip was completely sheared through, rendering the limb unrepairable, and leaving me feeling sick. 


My workbench is now littered with busted up bow limbs and I can't see accomplishing much without making some changes.  After a string of setbacks, it is time to stop, take a step back, and come up with a solution that will not only perform, but will be durable enough to withstand the punishment of repeated 600+ foot per second shots.

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment